Thursday 14 January 2010

Wristcutters (a weird story)

So I just watched a film id been recommended by a friend in my class, who very vaguely filled me in on what it was about so i thought id give it a go.

So it starts off very nicely, Average character, cleaning his room, when bam, lets go to the sink and slit my wrists and die on the floor looking at some bum fluff....ok....ill roll with this.

So he turns up in a weird limbo world where people who have commited suicidal deaths go, and its all very grey, identical to earth but not as full of life, or colourful, or entertaining, and here its a given thing that no one smiles.

He meets (who i swear is based on the lead singer of Gogol Bordello) A Russian guitarist, who he starts riding around in a proper tin box car with to find Desiree, his former love, and the reason he 'offed' himself' (after finding out from some random dude that she also topped herself soon after him.)
They bump into a girl hitchiking on the side of the road, and Eugene (hutz) loves it and picks her up immediately. So they drive endlessly on, where they bump into Tom Waits in some cult group place, and decide to stay there, where gogol bordello guy falls in love with some weird mute woman who sings wierdly with throat noises......anyway,

so then they find out from one of the cult members, that a guy is doing an 'act' the next day, which they have to attend. But Zia (main guy) and Mikal (hitchiker girl) end up getting jiggy on the beach and sleeping on a prostitute spot ontop of needles and condoms. (...ok)

So they get to this gathering, and this guy claims he can get back to the living world and tell them all about this limbo land they can come to, so he stabs himself, and then all the 'people in charge' all dressed in white suits, come and break up the crowds and take everyone away...Mikal goes off with a white person in a tiny van and says to Zia she'll be back in 5, more like 5 days, as she ends up returning home as she was there from overdosing which counts as a 'mistake' (and somehow gogol bordello guy knew this...)

So obviously, she commits actual intentional suicide again to be legit in this place, cause she realises she loved Zia. Zia did eventually findn Desiree btw, but she was completely indoctrinated by this crazy prophet guy who stabbed himself, so shes a bit of a weirdo now (and a SHIT actress) and is out of the picture by the end of the last scene. So Zia runs around in the car looking for Mikal, who coisidently just goes through what looks like customs, back into this limo world.
Oh and also another weird point of this film theres a black hole under the passenger seat, which he decides to fall down, turns out thats the void that takes you back to earth, and he wakes up in a hospital next to a bed where Mikal is laying.

End.


thoughts?

I think it looks like something i'd make next year when I have the assets of equipment and actors like that...considering it came from a novella, I kinda wanna read it now.

There was something missing from it, which is how I felt at the end of Rebel Tribe ( the major I made last year, eventhough that was really confused for several other reasons which werent wholly my fault) in the words of rob, 'it didnt have a clear meaning/didn't really go anywhere' i disagree with the second half, but i agree something more was needed..

I like how it looked, some amazing sky shots in there, I like the concept, as its so simple and I wouldnt have thought it could work like that, but it did, i like how charming the story line was, and i liked the characters, as weird as they all were.

I also loved that Tom Waits was in it.

Over all, I like, in between a 2 and a 3 star film. would see it again, am not blown away, but intrigued.

2 comments:

  1. This is rather funny, because I bought that movie on ebay and recently got it hahah and was gonna lay in bed now and watch it, but then decided to read your blog.. and then it turns out you've seen it! Hahah! I didn't know it was that well-known (is it?) or is this just a huge coincidence. :) Well, mind-blowing or not, it seems like a charming movie so I suppose I'll still give it a shot. :)

    Also about the whole ordeal in your latest blog post.. I do hope I get to talk to you over msn soon about everything. I'm so sorry I haven't been there for you more and talked to you more through out this. I'm so sorry. Hope I can talk to you about it soon and see how things are going now. I hope things are better..

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyyy!!! haha no i dont think its hugely well known, but i really like it!! let me know what you thought when you watch it!!
    id really appreciate a good talk to you :) i have missed you miss. hornfeldt! <3 speak soon, lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete